If you are looking to have huge muscle gains or just want to make your gym workout more efficient, you are probably looking at buying a gainer.
With so many on the market, it can be hard to choose one. Check out this guide for recommendations and help in selecting the best one.
Which gainer is best for weight gain?
All the gainers listed are great for helping build mass and gaining weight. Each one may appeal to different people for different reasons because of the ingredients.
How can I gain weight quickly?
To begin gaining weight safely and quickly you need to consume more calories than you are using daily.
However, these should be healthy calories and not junk food. One of the easiest solutions to this is the use of a mass gainer.
Which is the best weight gainer for skinny guys?
Again, all the gainers listed are some of the best available. They have helped countless underweight people gain healthy weight in a relatively short period of time.
What are the health benefits of using a gainer?
Studies have shown many added health benefits when it comes to using gainers.
A study done by the International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism titled “Effects of Ingesting Supplements Designed to Promote Lean Tissue Accretion on Body Composition during Resistance Training” was conducted to examine the effects of ingesting nutritional supplements designed to promote lean tissue accretion on body composition alterations during resistance training.
The study was conducted using 28 resistance-trained males who blindly supplemented their diets with maltodextrin (M), Gainers Fuel® 1000 (GF), or Phosphagen™ (P).
- No significant differences were observed in absolute or relative total body water among groups
- Energy intake and body weight significantly increased in all groups combined throughout the study with no group or interaction differences observed.
- Dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry-determined body mass significantly increased in each group throughout the study with significantly greater gains observed in the GF and P groups.
- Lean tissue mass (excluding bone) gain was significantly greater in the P group, while fat mass and percent body fat were significantly increased in the GF group.
- Results indicate that total body weight significantly increased in each group and that P supplementation resulted in significantly greater gains in lean tissue mass during resistance training.
There was also another study done by the Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness titled “effects of the high-calorie supplement on body composition and muscular strength following resistance training.”
The study was done in 2002 using 73 male subjects. They were divided into 3 groups- Group 1 CHO/PRO consumed 2010 kcal supplement with carbs and protein, group 2 CHO consumed carb supplement, and group 3 consumed no supplements.
- Significant increase in body mass and fat-free mass in group 1 and group 2
- Significant increase in fat-free mass in group 1
- Significant increase in muscle strength in all groups
Will gainer help me gain strength as well as muscle?
Yes! Studies have shown that gainer helps people feel stronger after just a few weeks. One study titled “The Effect of Whey Isolate and Resistance Training on Strength, Body Composition, and Plasma Glutamine” examined the effects of supplementation with two proteins.
They used hydrolyzed whey isolate (WI) and casein (C) to test strength, body composition, and plasma glutamine levels during a 10 week, supervised resistance training program.
The study was conducted with 13 male recreational bodybuilders who supplemented their normal diet with either WI or C (1.5 gm/kg body wt/d) for the duration of the program.
- Plasma glutamine levels did not change in either supplement group following the intervention.
- The WI group achieved a significantly greater gain (P < 0.01) in lean mass than the C group (5.0 ± 0.3 vs. 0.8 ± 0.4 kg for WI and C, respectively) and a significant (P < 0.05) change in fat mass (−1.5 ± 0.5 kg) compared to the C group (+0.2 ± 0.3 kg).
- The WI group also achieved significantly greater (P < 0.05) improvements in strength compared to the C group in each assessment of strength.
- When the strength changes were expressed relative to body weight, the WI group still achieved significantly greater (P < 0.05) improvements in strength compared to the C group.
How do I decide which gainer is best for me?
Several factors contribute to choosing the best gainer for yourself. Below is a guide looking at the most important decision-making factors.
- Prices vary a lot for different gainers.
- The serving size of most of not all gainers is quite large so the contents can go quickly if the recommended serving is followed.
- It’s important to compare the price with the quality as well as the size.
- Gainers are notorious for tasting bad.
- Some people don’t mind as it’s a means to an end and they get it down quickly.
- There are a few gainers known for having exceptionally good taste when compared to others.
- Opinions vary but based on reviews BSN True mass is one of the best tastings.
- Gainers are also known for being hard to mix so there are no clumps.
- Some dissolve better than others but only a few seem to work with a normal shaker.
- Normally clumps can be avoided by blending the drink.
- Some ingredients may be more important to some buyers than others.
- This may include:
- The source of protein, ideally multiple sources
- The source of carbs- usually from maltodextrin but can be naturally sourced
- Vegan-friendly options
- Nutrition is one of the most important factors when choosing a gainer.
- Buyers should compare the serving size with the amount of nutrition for each serving.
- Some weight gainers can vary based on the key components people are searching for:
- Protein content
- Caloric value
- Fat content and type
- Sugar content
- Some people want a simple gainer with carbs, protein, and fat where others may want certain. Added nutrition, vitamins, minerals. The added aspects that some may want while others may avoid include:
- Vitamins and minerals
- Some people may need to avoid certain gainers based on allergies.
- Common allergies include:
- Lactose intolerant
Best Gainer Products to Try Now
Most important product info:
- Vitamin C, Zinc, and Vitamin D provide immune support along with Vitamin E.
- This is a high-calorie weight gainer with 1,250 calories per 2-scoop serving.
- There are 50 grams of protein per serving for fueling intense workouts.
- Over 250 grams of carbohydrates per serving.
- 25 vitamins & minerals plus creatine & glutamine.
- You can use an electric blender to add fresh or frozen fruits, peanut butter, nuts & other calorie-dense foods to boost your weight gain potential.
- Chocolate peanut butter
- Strawberry vanilla
- A lot of protein and calories
- Relatively low in creatine (only 1 gram)
- Low in glutamine and glutamine peptides (only 500 mg of each)
- The scoop size is quite large in comparison to others
- High-quality protein blend consisting of whey protein concentrate, calcium caseinate, and egg albumen.
- Calories derived primarily from protein sparing complex carbohydrates
- Most of the carbohydrates in Serious Mass are in the form of maltodextrin
- Significant vitamin and mineral profile included in it
- Heavy milk chocolate taste
- Solubility isn’t fantastic but not bad either
- A moderate amount of fat (4.5 grams) mostly from medium-chain triglycerides
- Nice thick texture
- Very competitively priced
- 12 Pound bag
- 6-pound bag
- Contains high amounts of protein
- Full vitamin and mineral profile
- Great taste
- Very affordable price
- Works well for muscle mass and weight gain
- Solubility could be better
- 700 calories per serving help to add to the quality mass to your frame that you’ve been looking for post-workout or even between meals.
- 2:1 ratio of carbs and protein provides your body a quality mix of carbs and protein the supports your mass gaining goals.
- 46G-50G of protein from whey protein concentrate, calcium caseinate, milk protein isolate, whey protein isolate, micellar casein, hydrolyzed whey protein, and egg whites.
- MCT fats round out the nutritional value of each shake and complement the legendary great date from BSN.
- 10G of naturally occurring BCAAs per serving to support your recovery efforts from intense bouts of exercise.
- Chocolate milkshake
- Cookies and cream
- Strawberry milkshake
- Vanilla ice cream
- Protein (46-50g) from 7 different sources
- Carbohydrates (87g) from maltodextrin
- Fats (18g), which includes MCT powder
- The exact amount of protein can differ, for example, the Chocolate Milkshake flavor has 46g, whereas the Strawberry Milkshake and Vanilla Ice Cream options have a rounded 50g per serving
- Rapidly digested isolates and hydrolysates
- Free of stimulants, hormones, creatine
- One of the best tasting gainers available
- Mixes well
- Lower calorie count than some alternatives
- 5.82 pounds
- Great taste
- Free from hormone additives, stimulants, creatine
- Good solubility for a gainer
- Digests well
- No vitamin profiles
- Only 3 ingredients including Naked Whey, Naked Casein, and organic maltodextrin (made from gluten-free organic tapioca). Naked Mass contains no artificial sweeteners, flavors, or colors and is GMO-Free, Growth Hormone Free, Soy Free, and Gluten-Free.
- 50g of protein, 252g of Carbs, 1,250 Calories, 11.5g of BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids) per serving, and only 5g sugar.
- Gain weight with grass-fed whey and casein that provides your body with healthy amino acids to keep protein synthesis up throughout the day. Transform yourself from a hard gainer to a pro gainer.
- Unlike other weight gainer supplements that use wheat-based maltodextrins, Naked Mass is a serious, true mass gainer and uses gluten-free organic tapioca maltodextrin for clean source complex carbohydrates.
- Our unflavored super mass gainer protein powder is versatile for making smoothies and recipes. Boost calories and give your body optimum nutrition by adding Naked Mass to protein bars, cookies, and more.
- pure weight gain product that has been stripped down to its bare ingredients
- packed with muscle stimulating protein
- cleanest mass weight gainer products on the market
- easy to digest quality proteins in the form of both fast-acting whey and slow-digesting casein
- no artificial sweeteners or colors. It is GMO, soy, and gluten-free
- sugars are down to just 5 grams per serve
- 8 lbs.
- Natural ingredients
- No artificial additives
- Unflavored to mix with fruits and smoothies
- Easy to digest
- Natural, no artificial additives, clean
- Allergy to lactose, soy, gluten, eggs
- 10.7 grams of BCAAs as building blocks, including 5.1g Leucine to help activate Muscle Protein Synthesis.
- 1310 calories and 245g carbs per serving to help even the hardest gainers pack on mass.
- 52 grams of protein per serving (a blend of fast, medium, and slow-digesting proteins) for muscle support.
- 17 vitamins and minerals to support balanced nutrition, healthy muscle tissue, and muscle recovery.
- During the summer months products may arrive warm but Amazon stores and ships products in accordance with manufacturers’ recommendations, when provided.
- Cookies and cream
- Gourmet vanilla
- Rich chocolate
- Contains vitamins, minerals, and essential nutrients, and amino acids
- Mixes quite easily
- Good taste
- High protein content
- Large serving size
- Provides quick results
- Mixes well with a shaker
- High-calorie content
- Very affordable price
- 6 lbs.
- The taste is pretty good
- Very affordable
- High BCAA content
- High in protein
- High caloric intake
- The serving size is quite large
- High-calorie intake
- MuscleTech Mass-Tech is an advanced muscle mass gainer for those who have struggled with adding size, are in their bulking phase, or want to break through their strength plateaus.
- Mass-Tech delivers 20% better amino acid absorption. ProHydrolase is designed to maximize the performance benefits of protein assisting the body in absorbing EAAs for building muscle and improving muscle recovery.
- It’s clean and simple. Delivers more protein (80g), better calories, and bigger results than other mass gainers, with the macros you need to pack on quality mass.
- Each serving delivers 1,000 nutrient-dense calories derived from high-quality protein and quickly digested carbs. Each calorie-dense serving is enhanced with a huge 10g dose of the most studied form of creatine for even better gains.
- Mix 1 serving with 16 oz of water or skim milk and consume twice daily, either in the morning, between meals, or post-workout. For best results, use a blender.
- Cookies and cream
- Milk chocolate
- Boosts of energy and stamina
- A full serving is 5 scoops
- High creatine content
- Decent flavor- cookies and cream and strawberry are best
- Mixes best in a blender
- Protein (63g) from 6 sources
- Carbohydrates (132g) such as quinoa, and 6g of fat, of which only 3g are saturated
- 65% of the RDI for calcium
- Recovery/strength combination of BCAAs (14g) and creatine monohydrate (10g)
- Great solubility
- 3:1 carb to protein ratio to emphasize glycogen replenishment
- Mixes well
- High creatine content
- High BCAA content
- Strawberry tastes good
- Doesn’t last long because of the serving size
- Gainer with creatine
Using a gainer can help you achieve results of muscle and strength gain much quicker.
Remember that even using a gainer, you still need to focus on eating healthy and putting in the time at the gym.
By combining all of these lifestyle changes together, you will be able to move along in your fitness journey much quicker.
When choosing a gainer, make sure to read through all the ingredients and the reviews.