You’ve come to the right place if you’re hunting for an online nutrition certification program.
We researched and found some of the best nutrition certifications to add to your training resume.
There are many nutrition certifications to choose from, and here at The Fitness Tribe, we aim always to make your life easier. You’ll be on your way to a certified nutritionist in no time. Let’s get started.
Why Choose An Online Nutrition Certification Program?
Let’s be honest. We are all busy. Whether it’s a full-time job, going to school, kids, or all of the above, there aren’t enough hours in the day.
Maybe that’s why we never go for the things we want most, like becoming a certified nutritionist. Now is the best time to start with one of the online nutrition certification programs.
They offer the flexibility that busy people need to complete nutrition coaching on their timelines. Work on the course at home whenever you have time.
All of the courses we list below are accredited nutrition certification programs recognized by businesses worldwide. In-person classrooms are excellent, but a nutrition certification program can be taken online and be widely respected in the community.
Best Online Nutrition Certification Programs
Now that we’ve got your attention, let’s look at some online nutrition courses that teach everything from holistic nutrition to nutrition science to develop your healthy eating skills to pass on to your clientele.
The National Academy of Sports Medicine, NASM, is one of the fitness industry’s most popular certifications. Our NASM CNC review explained this sports nutrition program and all it offers.
NASM has a range of courses from personal training to nutrition and specialized continuing education courses. They are affordable, with monthly payments to keep upfront costs low.
After signing up with the NASM nutrition certification program, you can access the online portal. It comes with a range of study materials and resources to ensure you pass the certification program with flying colors. Depending on how much time you have, you can complete the NASM online nutrition course in a month.
Don’t stress if your time is limited. Once you sign up, you have a year to complete the course and pass the exam.
The NASM online nutrition course is broken into three sections.
- Nutritional Science – This section goes through the basics of nutrition science, energy expenditure, metabolism, the importance of hydration, fats, protein, carbohydrates, and more.
- Behavior Change Strategies – In this section, learn about the psychology of behavior changes that lead to weight loss. Explore how to set goals and coach your clients to success.
- Nutrition Coaching – This last section brings it all together with how to coach your clients when navigating diets and coping with food choices on the go.
After studying all sections, take the NASM final exam to achieve your nutrition certification. The test consists of 100 questions that must be completed within 90 minutes.
The NASM nutrition certification course typically costs $899, but the program often runs specials like 40% off the original price. In that case, it only cost $539 for this online course.
There are a range of philosophies on eating healthy when it comes to nutrition. One popular philosophy is a holistic approach that is based on plant-based foods.
This idea improves eating habits and helps fitness levels too.
Unlike some other online nutrition certification programs, AFPA offers a complete online nutrition education or a combination of online ebooks and regular textbooks for those wanting more tangible learning materials.
The price range changes based on what is selected. The e-book and 100% online course costs $899, while the textbook version is $1,124.
This holistic nutrition certification is sectioned into three modules shown below.
- The Science Behind Holistic Nutrition – This module introduces you to holistic nutrition through nutrition science and the body’s anatomy. Explore how certain plant-based foods have been proven to reduce and correct certain diseases. Learn how to eat foods that prevent the number one cause of early death.
- Nutrition Consultant Skill Development – Here’s the module where you master consulting techniques required to teach clients the nutrition science behind the holistic approach and how to assess their diet. Receive questionnaires and checklists for clients as you begin assessments.
- Holistic Health Research Presentations – In this final module, AFPA teaches the facts behind holistic nutrition. Research data and scientific facts support plant-based eating and the quality behind it. Learn about GMOs and how they affect the body. Understand diets like Paleo, vegan, and dairy-free and how to incorporate them into your client’s lifestyle.
In addition to all of the resources you need to pass this holistic nutritionist certification, you receive a free meal plan when you sign up for the course.
Receive your online certificate with a passing score of 85%. If you don’t pass, you can retake the exam for $75.00.
Another personal training leader in the industry, ISSA, International Sports Sciences Association, offers a sports nutrition certification that enables you to coach clients on all aspects of wellbeing.
They are partnered with Precision Nutrition, a global nutrition company. Like the other online courses we have discussed, the ISSA nutrition certification is nutrition and health coaching available online only. There are no classroom visits, including the final examination.
With the ISSA or Precision Nutrition certification, receive three textbooks, video seminars, assessment forms, a nutrition calendar, and a significant online community to receive advice and feedback on your health education.
The online platform brings continuing education for your nutritional coaching to your doorstep even after you have completed the course.
The three-step process for certifying with Precision Nutrition is simple.
- Step 1: Read a textbook chapter, watch the related videos, and answer the study questions.
- Step 2: Practice real case studies to further your understanding of health education
- Step 3: Take the final exam, which consists of 200 questions. The exam is an open book and requires a passing score of 75%.
If you don’t pass on your first attempt, receive five more tries to get a passing score.
This course is excellent for people who want to start a successful nutrition consulting business or increase their training resume with some nutritional coaching. Enrolling costs $1,199.
When we wrote about the ACE Group Fitness Certification, we gave various reasons why ACE leads the fitness industry in personal training.
It is NCCA accredited (National Commission of Certifying Agencies) and is a credible certification globally.
When it comes to online nutrition certifications, ACE is an excellent option.
If you are already certified as a personal trainer through ACE, receive 2.5 credits towards your continuing education courses when you become certified in sports nutrition. Receive a complete online experience for $299.50 (usually $599) or get the online experience plus a textbook for $349.50 (usually $699).
The ACE nutrition course consists of the following.
- ACE Fitness Nutrition Manual – In this manual, learn from the dietician Natalie Digate Muth about assessing a client’s diet history and future goals for healthy eating habits. Find out how to read labels and receive tips for planning healthy meals.
- ACE Fitness Nutrition Lecture Series – Four video lectures by Natalie Digate Muth give guidance on nutrition scope of practice, the grocery store tour, developing nutrition programs, and growing your business.
- ACE Presents Fitness Nutrition – Another video series that consists of how to set goals for clients and initiate behavior changes, nutrition how-to’s, and cooking demonstrations to give you the best training possible for your clients.
- Coaching Behavior Changes Part 1 – Discover the stages of behavior change, how to handle relapses, and how to identify the stage your client is in.
- Coaching Behavior Changes Part 2 – This final section features James O. Prochaska, director of the Cancer Prevention Research Center at the University of Rhode Island, who embellishes on the behavior changes behind eating healthy.
The ACE certification features quizzes throughout the course to test your knowledge and prepare you for the final exam.
We like this course because it focuses on the behavior changes necessary to improve nutrition choices.
Summing It All Up
Whether you have an ASFA certification or one of the many NASM, ISSA, or ACE certifications for personal training, adding online nutrition certifications to your resume is an excellent way to help your clientele improve their fitness goals.
Online courses make these nutrition courses easier to obtain when dealing with a busy lifestyle. It’s time to become a successful nutrition specialist to add more armor to your fitness professional status.