If you’re in the market for the best magnetic rower, you have come to the right place. We have information on the best magnetic rowing machines and what they offer. We’ll explore their features, compare costs, and list the pros and cons of each rowing machine. Grab a pen and paper to jot down some notes while we enlighten you on the best magnetic rowing machine.
What is a Magnetic Rowing Machine?
Magnetic rowing machines are made with magnetics to increase intensity. Turning the dial up allows the magnets to get closer to the flywheel and increase power. The magnets pull away from the flywheel by dialing back to reduce intensity. Unlike an air rowing machine that utilizes air to increase the intensity of the flywheel, creating lots of noise, a magnetic rowing machine is typically much quieter.
Magnetic rowers also contain features like streaming training videos and music that cater to people who like a bit of entertainment during their workouts.
Best Magnetic Rowing Machines
Below are some of the best magnetic rowing machines we’ve found. Let’s take a gander.
The Aviron brand features two types of rowers for purchase. The Impact Series costs $2199 and is their best-selling rowing machine. It has a 22″ pivotable screen with a nylon belt for holding you in place.
The weight limit is 397 lbs with a height limit of 6’7″. The handlebars rotate for comfort, and the Impact Series magnetic rower folds for storage.
Trying to outdo themselves, Aviron created an even more elaborate magnetic rowing machine called the Strong Series. This magnetic rowing machine features attributes similar to the Impact Series, like the nylon belt, rotating handlebars, and the folding ability for storage.
The Strong Series also features a 22″ screen, but it has a full rotation and is HD (high definition). The weight capacity exceeds the Impact Series rowing machines with a 507 lbs limit. The height limit is 6’8″. It also has a cooling capability during intense workouts.
The price tag on the Strong Series is $2499. We like the Aviron magnetic rowing machine series for competing with professionals, virtual rowing, and people who enjoy playing games during their workouts. If you want more information on the Aviron magnetic rower, read here.
- Features many games and competitions
- Rowing is smooth
- Higher from the ground than other magnetic rowing machines
- Combines wind and magnetic resistance
- The magnetic resistance system changes levels automatically
- Foldable for excellent storage
- YouTube is available with Aviron
- The music isn’t great
- No classes with instructors
- Metrics for the rowing machine aren’t explained
- Left/Right rotating and up/down pivoting screen.
- High strength steel and aluminum construction.
- The smooth resistance delivered by the air system mimics the on-the-water feel.
- 100+ lbs. of resistance.
- Designed with a comfortable 20" seat height and the added bonus of a lower 10" frame.
- Fan design that directs air flow towards the user as they row for a cooling effect.
The Hydrow rowing machine costs $2495 and features many fantastic attributes. If that cost seems high, a less expensive option is the Hydrow Wave, priced at $1695.
The weight capacity for the Hydrow magnetic rower is 375 lbs. The rowing machine weighs 145 lbs, and the dimensions are 93″ x 20″ x 49″.
There are over 4,000 workouts available On Demand via the 22″ full HD screen, but it requires a monthly subscription that costs $38.
This rowing machine is excellent for people with a larger budget who enjoy professional rowing videos and live-streamed workouts.
- Features live classes and competitions like racing challenges
- This magnetic rowing machine is smooth and quiet
- The seat is comfortable for your workouts
- It has a microphone for online workouts
- Excellent design with a large screen
- The classes and instructors are fantastic
- Bluetooth heart monitors and headphones are compatible with this rowing machine
- Donations are made by the Hydrow company to water.org (a charity that provides safe drinking water) when members are active for 60 days.
- Workouts without the magnetic rower are limited
- Hydrow rowing machine is pricey
- Class membership is an extra cost
- Doesn’t play personal music
- Bulky and hard to move
- A 22” touchscreen display and impressive front-facing speakers bring the river to your home.
- You can pivot the full HD screen for On the Mat workouts – including yoga, Pilates, and strength training – that complement your rowing.
- Hydrow’s patented electromagnetic drag mechanism and industrial-grade webbed strap make each stroke smooth and virtually silent.
- Ergonomically-designed cushioned seat provides comfort and support for the best indoor rowing experience.
The ProForm 440R magnetic rowing machine is an excellent option for those with a lower budget. It costs only $399.
This magnetic resistance rowing machine features eight resistance levels with pivoting pedals.
It weighs 68 lbs with 77″ x 20.5″ x 38″ dimensions and folds for storage. The weight capacity is 250 lbs.
People with a smaller budget who want a simple magnetic rowing machine and aren’t serious rowers will enjoy the ProForm 440R.
- Features a 2-in-1 workout
- The screen is large and easy to see
- Seat is comfortable
- Inexpensive price
- Smooth rowing strokes
- The handle is thin and hard to grip
- The seat is small for some people
- Foldable yet bulky when stored
- Design looks old
- Hard to assemble
- Some reviews mentioned quality issues with this magnetic rowing machine
- Large LCD window display,you can watch your strokes per minute, total strokes, distance, approximate calories, and time add up.
- Built with lightweight, durable material, the 440R features an oversized aluminum seat rail.
- Pivoting Pedal with Adjustable Foot Strap.
- Ergonomic Molded Seat.
- Smooth and steady bike pedal stroke.
- 250 Lb. Weight Capacity.
The NordicTrack RW200 is an excellent mid-range budget magnetic rowing machine. At press time, it is on sale for $459.99. It usually goes for $1,299.
The best magnetic rowing machine has options, and this magnetic rower has plenty. It has a magnetic resistance system that allows air resistance to be applied manually.
It folds easily from its dimensions of 84.75″ x 22″ x 43.5,” and it weighs 105 lbs. The maximum weight capacity for this magnetic rowing machine is 250 lbs.
We also really like this magnetic rowing machine because it works for people over 6’4″ tall.
It comes with an ergonomic molded seat and a soft-touch ergonomic handle for ultimate comfort. The adjustable display tracks time, distance, calories, watts, strokes per minute, total strokes, and more. It has iPod-compatible speakers and features 20 pre-set workout apps.
- Well-built with a sturdy frame
- The beam is longer for taller users
- Quiet rowing machine
- Features 20 pre-set workout apps
- Display is adjustable
- Built-in speakers are iPod compatible
- The display features watts along with calories, time, distance, and strokes per minute
- Screen is small
- The seat isn’t comfortable, according to some reviews
- The resistance levels are not extensive
- No heart rate monitor to track cardio
- The plastic damper selector seems breakable
- Bulky even when folded
Any of these magnetic rowing machines are fabulous adds to your fitness routine. An indoor rower is what you need to take your training to the next level. While some of the best magnetic rowing machines are pricey, there are options for those on a budget. It’s like treadmills for your entire body. The repetition allows you to zone out while getting your workout done.
If you’re wondering how a rowing machine compares to ellipticals, check out our rowing vs. elliptical blog to understand more about the two types of training and how they compare. At the Fitness Tribe, we keep you informed about everything fitness!
Kristen holds a bachelors in English from Louisianna university. With a longstanding passion for fitness, she owns and operate her own gym and is a certified jazzercise instructor.