If you haven’t been to the gym in a while because of COVID, you might be missing some of the more hefty machines they have.
One of our personal favorites is the leg press machine.
Our glutes, hamstrings, and quadriceps sure do miss the leg press. The great news is that you don’t have to miss it any longer.
You can get a leg press machine for your home gym. Plus, many machines can mimic what the leg press machine does for your lower body.
As always, we’ve collected all of the relevant information for you, and it’s time to get your read on.
When it comes to expensive products, we need to know what items are vital. Many factors might be essential to some of us, especially if we are on a budget.
Let’s take a look at some things to consider before buying a leg press machine.
So there’s good news and bad news when it comes to purchasing leg press machines. Should we go for the bad news first? Leg press machines aren’t cheap. They are known for being rather pricey.
When it comes to buying one, you don’t want to go with the cheapest either. That just means it probably isn’t made well, and it might break. Enough with the bad news.
The good news is that there are some affordable leg press machines.
They range from $400 to $800, and they will work your legs well.
Whenever you buy equipment for your home gym, size is a significant factor. Most of us don’t have room for oversized equipment that you find at the gym.
Take the dimensions of the leg press machine you are considering into account. Measure your space and ensure there is enough room to maneuver around it too.
Are you a beginner? If so, you might not need or want a leg press machine that allows for hundreds of pounds of resistance. Plus, having to move a heavy piece of equipment around doesn’t sound like much fun.
If you are more advanced in your fitness level, look for leg press machines that allow much more weight for resistance. You want your leg presses to be complicated but not impossible.
How versatile your leg press machine is might depend on where you are in your fitness journey and how much equipment you already own. Some leg press machines come with other options other than leg presses.
If you don’t have additional equipment that works the rest of your muscle groups, a more versatile machine might be your jam. If you already own dumbbells or a functional trainer, you might need just a leg press machine. This decision will depend on you.
We all like to be comfortable when we work out, but it’s also vital from a safety perspective. If you are lifting heavy weights, you need the proper padding.
Depending on your size, you need a leg press machine that adjusts to your height and body type for maximum comfort and safety while exercising. Let’s be honest. We all like to sit on something that has proper padding for our glutes. Are we right?
We touched on this already, but you must keep this in the forefront of your mind when purchasing any kind of exercise equipment. There should be multiple safety locks and stoppers to protect you from the weight falling and hitting you.
Many vertical leg press machines have the weight overhead when using the machine, and some people prefer it to be to their side.
Whatever your preference, ensure that safety is discussed in the reviews of whatever leg press machine you are considering.
Best Leg Press Machines
Now that we know some essential factors let’s look at some available leg press machines.
Your legs are already thanking you.
The Body-Solid LVLP Leverage Horizontal Leg Press machine is available on Amazon. Free shipping for the win!
This leg press is a fantastic addition to your home gym to get those legs pumping. It features a large foot plate that pivots. It helps you to get the proper range of motion with your foot in the correct position.
You can adjust the back support for any height to bring some extra comfort to your workout. Use the side handles for additional support in your leg presses.
Whatever weight you add to your leg presses is exactly what weight you will feel. Plus, the weight is lifted in front of you rather than overhead for extra safety.
While it’s larger and weighs over 500 lbs, it’s perfect for those with more space in their home gym. The Body-Solid warranty gives you a lifetime warranty on the frame itself.
A three-year warranty is available for the pulleys and bearings, and a one-year warranty is offered for the normal wear and tear to the cables and cushions. If you think that is a whole lot of warranties, it certainly is.
However, Body-Solid believes in their product and wants you to as well. Perfect your leg presses with this machine which is priced at $3,574.
- While assembly is required, it’s not complicated
- The Body-Solid leg press machine is commercially rated and highly durable.
- The weight does not lift overhead
- The foot plate is extra wide at 24 inches
- This leg press is large, so adequate space is needed.
- The weights for this machine aren’t included in your purchase price
- Direct drive press System for accurate and effective weight resistance
- Large pivoting footplate maintains correct foot position throughout range of motion
- Dual self aligning 1 1/2 inch Linear bearing seat carriage design easily adjusts to accommodate various foot positions
Body-Solid comes in again with a leg press known for decreasing the amount of pressure put on the spine while performing a leg press.
If you suffer from back issues, this leg press is the one for you. The back pad has a comfortable pillow that is fully adjustable to support your back. Get your glutes, quads, hamstrings, and calves working with this machine.
A fantastic feature of the Body-Solid ProClubLine leg press is that it comes with a weight stack of 210 lbs. If you want even more weight, there is an option to purchase another 100 lbs in weight.
The durable steel frame is coated with a protective finish from scratches. Since it’s Body-Solid, you receive that limited lifetime warranty on the frame and parts.
As you glide through in a smooth motion, feel your legs working with the spine support that you need. At $2,720, Body-Solid proves its worth in leg press machines once more.
- The leg press is made with durable construction that is built to last
- Press your legs and notice how smooth and quiet the machine is
- Get some weight stacks with your purchase
- The pillow seat is one of the most comfortable when it comes to leg press machines.
- Some reviews stated that it was difficult to assemble
- Extra tough, tear resistant durafirm
- Pillow block and sealed ball bearings
- 2" x 4" steel mainframe
The TDS Premier Vertical Leg Press is an excellent option for many reasons.
To start, it is a low-budget option at $799.95 but still made with heavy-duty steel rollers. From a safety perspective, there are multiple built-in stoppers to prevent injury when using the weights.
The padding is thick and comfortable as you press your legs and work the quads, glutes, hamstrings, and calves. This leg press machine allows the foot plate to come all of the way to the bench for an extensive range of motion.
It’s also easy to change positions so you can work different areas of your legs. If you haven’t tried vertical leg presses before, now is the time to check it out and feel your leg muscles pushed to the max.
- This vertical leg press machine is relatively easy to put together
- An excellent leg press with a budget-friendly price
- It doesn’t take up as much space as some competitors
- Many safety features and well-built
- Max weight capacity is 1000 lbs
- Some complaints that when you are fully extended in the leg press, the machine gets a little shaky
If you are limited on space in your home gym and looking for a budget-friendly option, the Weider Ultimate Body Works is exactly what you need.
Even though it’s not just a leg press, we are listing it in our best leg press machine list because it goes the extra mile for your legs and the rest of your muscle groups with bodyweight alone. That’s impressive.
Without weights, you can focus on your form and using your body to create resistance. Press your body into a squat over and over using just bodyweight and resistance bands. It’s excellent for perfecting the leg press hack squat.
It also offers a cable and pulley system that promotes various exercises like chest presses, crunches, and lat pulldowns. That upper body is getting its daily does in with this machine too.
The Weider is also portable, easily folded for storage, and doesn’t take up much space in your home gym. It offers four resistance bands for varying levels of fitness.
Beginner and advanced bodyweight enthusiasts alike will love this machine. Did we mention it’s only $341.99, and you get a 90-day return if you are unhappy with it? Pretty groovy, right?
- Very inexpensive
- No weights required – all bodyweight exercises
- It folds up nicely for easy storage
- Small for those with limited space in their home gym
- Excellent full-body workout
- Resistance is dependent on body weight, so there are limits
- Assembly instructions aren’t great
- Dimensions: 59" L x 27.5" W x 48" H
- Max. Weight capacity: 250 pounds
- Cushion material: Foam
- Cable-and-pulley system allows for greater versatility and an expanded range of motion
Body-Solid is at it again, but this time you get one of the best leg press machines and an entire home gym. It doesn’t get much better than that.
The Powerline P2LPX Home Gym with leg press has so much versatility we don’t even know where to start. The machine is broken up into multiple stations that work for every muscle group.
We are talking cable pulleys for lat pulldowns, arm presses, leg presses, and more. It’s adjustable for any size and comes with a 160 lb weight stack.
This home gym comes with two benches, and the leg press portion can be put on either side of the machine. Now you can utilize the leg press and hack squat to your heart’s content while working your upper body and core.
Considering all that you are getting, the price of $2,226 is bringing fitness right to your home at an excellent value.
- Utilize leg presses and the rest of your body with this machine
- For weight lovers, the weight stacks are included in the purchase
- Because of the 2:1 pulley system, you can get double the weight for leg presses
- Despite offering so much, there are even additional attachments you can buy
- Well-built machine
- Since it’s so involved, it takes a lot of time to assemble
MULTI FUNCTIONAL: The Powerline Home Gym with Leg Press P2LPX complete gym from Body-Solid is a comprehensive home workout machine for total-body training with an added leg press.
- Leg press weight ratio 2:1.
- Dimensions are 71"L x 75"W x 83"H.
- Adjustable seat and back pads to optimally fit any user.
- Bio-mechanically designed multi-press arms to maximize muscle development.
Leg Press Machines Done
We’ve done the research, and the best leg press machines are listed for your to explore. Check out all of the different options and decide which is best for your home gym.
Your leg press machine can be versatile or straightforward. It all depends on what your fitness goals are.
If you are ready for a complete home gym with a leg press included, maybe the Body-Solid Powerline is your jam.
Either way, a leg press machine keeps you from performing countless squats to achieve those fantastic leg muscles. Press away, people!
Kristen holds a bachelors in English from Louisianna university. With a longstanding passion for fitness, she owns and operate her own gym and is a certified jazzercise instructor.