Recent studies have found that over one billion people worldwide suffer from migraines.
That doesn’t even take into account regular headaches that affect the population every day. If you’ve ever suffered from a migraine, you know how debilitating it can be.
A common headache is hard to deal with as it affects our concentration and results in feeling nauseated, and increases neck pain.
Soothing relief in the form of a headache hat might provide the pain management you need for migraine relief. Let’s explore what they have to offer.
What is a Headache Hat?
Headache hats are hot and cold therapy hats that wrap around your head to provide pain relief from the mildest headaches to the most intense migraines.
They are comfortable enough to wear while you sleep. The gel pack on the inside freezes to give you hours of cold therapy.
The incredible thing about a gel pack is how flexible it is as opposed to ice packs. You can wrap it around your head for a comfortable fit for your cold therapy.
How does it work?
Several studies have been conducted to understand why cold therapy headache hats provide pain relief for headaches.
One particular study found that patients who wore a cold therapy gel cap on their heads found pain relief after only 25 minutes. That is incredible, especially for those who suffer from migraines.
It is thought that perhaps cold therapy is successful for several reasons. The cold numbs the area, and that can decrease pain.
Cold therapy causes the blood vessel to constrict, which decreases blood flow and leads to less migraine pain.
As always, cold therapy reduces swelling, and that could cause a decrease in pain as well.
There are a lot of theories as to why the cold therapy headache hats work, but in the end, the fact that they work to reduce pain is enough.
Ice Packs vs. Headache Hats
While ice packs are fine to use for cold therapy, the beauty of a headache hat is the gel insert that works as an ice pack without being extremely hard.
The gel pack is malleable, so you can wrap it around your head and lie down. Plus, if you wanted to use the headache hat for neck pain, you could heat it and use it the same way for heat therapy.
The versatility of the headache hat provides more migraine relief than a simple ice pack.
Best Cold Therapy Headache Hats
Now that we have a better understanding of how these hats work for both hot and cold therapy.
Let’s take a look at some particular ice packs that we found are some of the best.
1. Theraice RX Headache Relief Hat
The Theraice RX Headache Relief Hat provides cold compression comfort without the use of medications.
A one-size-fits-all cap, simply place it on your head and over your eyes for migraine pain. This ice hat can relieve pain quickly by reducing inflammation and tension.
It’s safe to use for those who suffer from chronic migraines or even simply tension headaches.
It provides the right amount of compression for your pain management and features ice therapy without being too cold for the skin. It freezes in just two hours when placed in a Ziploc bag.
It’s priced at $32.95. If, for some reason, it doesn’t fit correctly, it can be returned for a full refund.
- Excellent fit around the head and good compression
- Gel pack gets very cold
- Pain relief without medication
- Hat covers eyes for more relief
- Cold pack doesn’t stay cold long enough
- Some reviews complained about a chemical odor
Cold Therapy Migraine Relief Mask, Comfortable & Strechable Ice Pack Eye Mask for Puffy Eyes, Tension, Sinus & Stress Relief
- TheraICE Rx cools down to the perfect temperature so you can comfortably enjoy fast-acting relief without harming your skin.
- TheraICE Rx is a safe, natural treatment for immediate headache relief.
2. Magic Gel Headache Relief Cap
This cap is a surefire way to relieve headaches. It’s comfortable and can be worn in several different ways to achieve the best comfort possible.
Wear this migraine hat over your temples or pull it down over your entire face to relieve headaches quickly. Place the ice pack below your eyes for sinus relief or behind your ears to compress pressure points.
The Magic Gel cap is one-size-fits-all and over 90% of people are happy with the sizing.
If for any reason it doesn’t work for you, it can be returned for a full refund. It’s priced at $32.99.
- Cools and compresses pressure points together for relief
- Adjustable to fit over the temples or completely over the face
- Extremely comfortable fit
- Reviews say the gel packs for cooling are placed perfectly for migraine relief.
- Fits without having to hold it in place
- No cold pack on the top of the head
- Reviews state it loses coolness too quickly
A Headache Ice Mask or Hat Used for Migraines and Tension Headache Relief. Stretchy, Comfortable, Dark and Cool
- The Patented Headache cap is made from medical grade liquid gel with a premium PVC cover.
- It's reusable for up to 300 cycles.
3. Original Headache Hat
The Original Headache Hat uses a genuine ice pack instead of gel to bring you relief and long-lasting cold therapy.
It comes with three rows of ice that can be moved to bring relief to the right places. Situate them on your pain points and notice immediate pain relief.
If it starts to lose coolness, flip it over to the other side and get extra cold therapy. It comes with a fleece insert that regulates the cold temperature.
Since it uses natural ice, it can be colder on the skin, so the fleece insert helps that factor.
The Original Headache Hat is yours for only $39.99.
- Uses natural ice, so it stays cold for a long time
- Ice cubes can be positioned differently to access specific pain points
- Comfortable to use
- Ice doesn’t melt and make a mess
- Has the ability to cover your eyes
- Reviews suggest the ice is too hard and therefore uncomfortable as opposed to some gel competitors
- Some complaints that the hat doesn’t fit tightly enough
4. Ice Kap
We like the Ice Kap because you can adjust it in many different ways for head pain.
The flap on the back brings relief for occipital neuralgia (painful headaches that begin in the neck and creep up into the head). Use ice therapy all over the head to reduce the pain.
To use it as a migraine hat, simply flip it around to cover your eyes and bring the necessary darkness to recover from a terrible migraine.
The Ice Kap comes with five ice packets that you can use on particular pressure points or all over your head. Find the right spot and target your pain.
The Ice Kap can be used for heat therapy if that feels more desirable for your headache. It also has a hole to fit your ponytail through for better positioning on your head.
With a range of sizes to choose from, you will get the right fit with the Ice Kap.
It’s priced at $79.99 and is machine washable to use for years.
- Gel packs are soft even when frozen
- Material is long-lasting
- Cold therapy for the entire head
- Brings cold therapy relief to your neck too
- Adjustable to fit any head size with velcro straps
- A pricey option
- Some reviews suggest that freezing the gel ice packs takes too long
Patented Migraine Relief Headache Hat with 5 Gel Ice Pack - Ice Hat Lasts Up to 3 Hours! Icecap for Migraines, Chemo, Sinus Relief, Head Tension, Menopause and More (X-Large)
- 200% longer cooling for longer lasting relief.
- Icekap comes with 5 Therapy Grade Non-Toxic Gel Ice Packs.
5. Revix Migraine Head Wrap
An excellent budget option, the Revix Migraine Head Wrap is our final favorite.
Cover your entire head with this cap and get more prolonged cold therapy since it has an extra-large ice pack. The gel packs fit into the neoprene wrap to bring excellent cold compression for any kind of headache.
Plus, since the gel ice pack is removable, use it for other areas of your body that require cold therapy. The Revix is a one-size-fits-all headache hat. Find relief no matter how big or small your head is. It’s made with excellent materials to prevent leakage while in use.
At 23.99, this headache hat works and is affordable.
- Relieves headache pain
- Can be worn to sleep as it’s comfortable
- Cold after only a little time in the fridge or freezer
- Gel packs stay soft even when frozen for utmost comfort
- Reasonably priced
- Reviews state it loses cold quickly
- Some say it doesn’t fit correctly
Reusable Gel Cold Pack for Migraines or Puffy Eyes, Tension, Sinus & Stress Relief
- This headache relief hat with a cold gel pack combines the benefits of cryotherapy and compression.
- Certified Safe and Fully Guaranteed- All REVIX ice packs are made of premium material.
Headaches Are Gone without any Medicine
Wouldn’t it be nice if your sinus headaches, tension headaches, and migraines hit the road without taking a lot of medicine?
The headache hat might be just the thing to have you feeling better naturally with cold therapy.
It has been shown to reduce pain as the cold constricts our blood vessels and compresses on the correct pressure points. Some headache hats feature heat therapy, like an infrared sauna blanket for your head.
Whatever treatment works best for you, we highly recommend trying a headache hat, especially for all of our migraine patients.
You have suffered long enough. It’s time to find relief with these cold compresses.
Kristen holds a bachelors in English from Louisianna university. With a longstanding passion for fitness, she owns and operate her own gym and is a certified jazzercise instructor.