Are you looking for an exercise bike? Is your space limited? Machines like treadmills and ellipticals bring a healthier lifestyle but occupy plenty of room. Having these machines to work out at home or when the weather is bad is great, but some have the luxury of space.
At The Fitness Tribe, we understand space constraints and want to help. We researched some of the best folding exercise bikes to help you purchase a machine without worrying about space limitations. We’ll review each selection and help you find a folding exercise bike that works for you.
Benefits of a Folding Exercise Bike
Exercise bikes have always been popular, but the pandemic brought them to the frontline when working out at home was the only option. As life steadily resumes its average pace, there is still a desire to exercise at home due to cost savings and time constraints. If regular exercise bikes seem like too much, here are the benefits of a folding exercise bike.
- Space saver – A folding exercise bike folds easily for storing when not in use.
- Travel friendly – Some folding exercise bikes allow you to travel with them since they fold so compactly.
- Storage friendly – Sometimes, things that claim to be storable are still bulky. Some folding exercise bikes fold compactly under the bed or in your car’s trunk for no-bulk storage.
- Inexpensive – Folding exercise bikes won’t give you sticker shock as they are cheaper than some stationary bikes.
- Entertainment friendly – Riding a bike while watching television makes your exercise more enjoyable than watching the timer click by slowly. Place a folding exercise bike anywhere for entertainment while biking.
Best Folding Exercise Bikes
Proform Elite X-Bike Folding Exercise Bike
The Proform Elite X-bike features an enormous LCD to view bike workouts from personal trainers worldwide via iFit Bluetooth. An EKG Grip Pulse heart rate sensor tracks your heart rate during workouts. It has ten levels of resistance to accommodate any type of fitness level.
This upright bike folds easily for storage with its folding space-saver design. It weighs about 43 lbs with dimensions of 49” x 20.25” x 40.25”. It requires a clearance of two feet on either side of the bike when assembled for use.
The upright frame accommodates anyone under 250 lbs with a significant, adjustable seat, transport wheels, and pedals with straps. It costs $299 on the Proform website.
We like this bike best for small spaces, use in offices, and for people under 250 lbs.
Engage in a whole new fitness experience as certified personal trainers take your exercise all around the world through an expansive collection of GlobeTrek™ workouts that get you moving and sweating on and off your bike. Subscription required.
- 2 lbs dumbbells included with the purchase
- Easily stored and lightweight
- iFit Bluetooth compatible
- iFit capability is available via a subscription only
- It only accommodates people over 250 lbs.
Xterra Fitness FB350
The Xterra Fitness FB350 folding exercise bike has a backlit LCD screen measuring 2.24” diagonally. The console displays time, speed, distance, calories, and more. It features an accessories tray for your phone, towel, or headphones and has transportation wheels.
With eight resistance levels and a durable crank arm, find the level that suits your fitness level. The seat is adjustable and features a back with high-density foam padding for comfort. It measures 40.5” x 21” x 48” when assembled and 20.5” x 20” x 50.5” when folded for easy storage. Users like it best when placed on hard flooring for better stabilization.
It’s available for $299, but the company often runs specials for only $229.
We like the Xterra Fitness FB350 for people between 4’10” and 5’10” who weigh less than the maximum capacity of 225 lbs. It’s also excellent for users who require extra back support.
- Easy-to-use folding frame design
- Quiet, smooth lower-body workout
- Anatomically designed thick padded seat with back
- 8 levels of resistance
- Directions make it easy to assemble
- Comfortable seat
- Bike overheats when placed on the carpet
- Tracking seems off, according to some user reviews
Marcy Foldable Upright Exercise Bike
Another excellent folding exercise bike with eight magnetic resistance levels is the Marcy Foldable Upright Exercise Bike. It weighs 38 lbs with a solid steel frame and non-slip rubber grips for better traction on flooring. Its dimensions are 32” x 18.25” x 42.25”, and it folds easily for storage.
An LCD screen tracks calories, distance, time, and speed to assist with fitness goals. It features a tablet or magazine holder for those who like to read while exercising. Trust us. This feature is essential to pass the time rather than staring at the timer. The Marcy Foldable Upright Exercise Bike has many five-star reviews from happy customers. Always crucial to read the reviews.
This folding exercise bike is best for people who seek a simple storage solution for their exercise bike in a smaller space and those under the 230 lbs maximum capacity.
Designed for fitness enthusiasts of all skill levels, the Marcy NS-653 comes with a manual magnetic resistance mechanism that has variable levels, allowing you to tailor your training to your fitness level.
- Installation is simple and complete within a few minutes
- Solid steel structure means it is sturdier than some competitors
- Folds and unfolds quickly for ease of use
- Tablet and magazine holder is limited in what it offers
- Some users complained about the instructions being hard to follow
FAQs About Folding Exercise Bikes
What types of folding exercise bikes are available, and at what price?
Upright bikes simulate a natural road feel and allow you to sit upright on the seat. They range in price from $200 to $1500, depending on the brand and accessories.
Recumbent bikes have larger seats than upright bikes and usually feature a backrest. Instead of being vertical or tipped forward like a regular bike, recumbent bikes require a semi-reclined position. They cost anywhere from $300 to $3000.
Folding exercise bikes are excellent for people with limited space or who require a portable option. They cost between $$200 and $1000.
How easily can you fold and store a folding exercise bike?
Manufacturers of folding exercise bikes insist folding them is simple after use. Most of them have a frame that locks into place. To fold, simply unlock the frame and fold it in half before storing it.
How much space is required for storage?
All folding exercise bikes are different when it comes to storage space requirements. Check the folded dimensions on the bike before purchasing if you have limited storage space.
How much maintenance do folding exercise bikes require?
Like any exercise equipment, you should clean folding exercise bikes regularly to remove sweat. Sweat contains salt, which leads to rust issues over time.
- Lubricating joints, pedals, and chains is essential to keep the bike working properly.
- Check screws and bolts frequently to ensure they are adequately tightened.
- LCD screens should be appropriately cleaned and checked for updated batteries.
- Bike calibration is often needed to ensure the bike tracks your progress correctly.
What tips make for a more comfortable ride on a folding exercise bike?
Ensure the seat is adjusted correctly to your height. Your knee should be slightly bent when your leg is fully extended on the pedal. Adjust the handlebars to the correct level too.
Don’t be afraid to switch out your seat if the one that comes with the folding exercise bike is too hard. If you’re uncomfortable, you won’t ride and get your workouts done.
Understand your fitness level, and don’t go too hard too quickly. Pace yourself and build up a more intense progression over time. Overdoing it leads to injuries.