We’ve said it before, but it’s always worth mentioning again. Do not overlook your recovery! Think of recovery as essential as your workout’s cardiovascular or strength training part. It’s a must.
For all of our runners, we’re happy to give you some of the best bath soaks available. Even if you aren’t a runner, bath soaks are for any athlete who pushes themselves to the limit and needs recovery. While a cold plunge or foam rollout is excellent, sometimes a good bath soak releases more tension throughout the body for optimal recovery. We’ll give you the scoop on what we found about bath soaks and have you relaxing in no time.
|Product Image||Product Name / Price||Primary Rating / Primary Button|
Why Bath Soaks for Recovery?
Why not bath soaks? Kidding aside, baths or magnesium soaks relieve sore muscles and stiff joints. While an ice bath helps constrict blood vessels, a warm bath soak reduces inflammation by increasing blood flow throughout the body to provide nutrients and oxygen to sore muscles.
Bath soaks involve salts or other ingredients to dissolve in the water. Combining those ingredients and warm water relaxes the body to help soothe muscles and invigorate mental health.
Since running is an intense exercise, bath soaks rule for recovery. In addition to alleviating muscle soreness and reducing inflammation, runners find a bath soak facilitates better circulation, body detoxification, and stress relief.
Magnesium is one of the main components of bath soaks because of its ability to reduce muscle cramps and soreness. Many people are magnesium deficient without knowing it. When muscles start cramping often, it might be a sign you need more magnesium.
Magnesium flakes in bath soaks contain magnesium chloride that absorbs into the body, igniting better results. Magnesium sulfate helps with detoxification and increases calcium absorption. While the science is still out on whether or not magnesium is absorbed through the skin for its beneficial effects, ongoing studies show mixed results, leading us to believe there might be something behind soaking in bath soaks packed with magnesium.
While we’re not sure about magnesium absorption into the skin, we do know that magnesium helps the outer layers of skin, especially blisters–a common ailment for avid runners. Magnesium bath soaks have little to no side effects, which is a win!
Best Bath Soaks for Runners
HigherDose Serotonin Bath Soak
HigherDose Serotonin bath soak contains magnesium Zechstein, French green clay, apple cider vinegar, and essential oils to stimulate serotonin levels in the brain. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that helps elevate your mood and feelings of optimism. This product reduces fatigue from running by balancing electrolytes.
HigherDose offers a subscription for their bath soak for $33, which is a 15% savings. We love HigherDose for people who want to optimize their overall health and well-being, like biohackers.
- HigherDOSE uses the purest form of Magnesium from the Zechstein Sea, French green clay for skin exfoliation, and raw apple cider vinegar that aids in anti-inflammation.
- A soothing bath is a proven way to increase serotonin or the “happy chemicals'' in your brain.
- This 32 oz pack comes with four servings of bath soak (8 oz a scoop) and is ideal for four baths.
- Various ingredients promote skin health and elicit pain relief
- Offers deep relaxation for athletes
- Non-residue bath flakes
- More expensive than some competitors
BetterYou Magnesium Flakes
BetterYou is another favorite of ours for bath soaks because it’s affordable for people to enjoy a relaxing bath at home. BetterYou magnesium flakes contain Zechstein, a natural and highly pure form of magnesium. It’s safe for anyone, even pregnant women, and aids muscle recovery. It is known for enhancing your skin too.
Available on Amazon, BetterYou is $14.95 for a 2.5 lb bag.
- Recuperate and refuel after exercise by utilizing a magnesium spray, or gel or taking a magnesium-rich bath to help loosen up tight muscles.
- BetterYou prides itself on creating effective products to support every customer's lifestyle.
- Feel peaceful and at ease after using this product because it naturally encourages relaxation.
- Excellent value for your money
- Safe for kids, adults, and pregnant women
- Contains no heavy metals
- It doesn’t come in a considerable quantity and needs two cups per bath
- Some reviews complained about itchiness due to the flakey product
DrSalts+ Muscle Therapy Shower Gel with Epsom Salt
Another product available on Amazon, DrSalts+, is best for people who prefer a shower to a bath. This muscle therapy shower gel contains Epsom salts, eucalyptus, rosemary, and ginger essential oils for muscle relief. The shower gel cleanses while promoting relaxation after a tough run. DrSalts+ uses only lab-grade salts to limit the environmental effects of salt mining.
- DrSALTS+ Muscle Therapy Shower Gel is vegan-friendly and made with natural ingredients including high-grade Epsom salts.
- All DrSALTS+ products are created with lab-made salts to minimize the negative effects on the environment from salt mining.
- Reduces muscle soreness
- Nice fragrance
- Refreshes and cleanses all at once
- Non-foaming, which some people may not like
- Some reviews complain about shower gel drying out the skin
Sanctuary Spa Wellness De-Stress Bath Salt
When you need to unwind, Sanctuary Spa Wellness De-Stress bath salt is the way to go. It contains magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) to relieve muscle aches and bring relaxation. It’s in the name as it’s a sanctuary right in your bathtub. It allows you to fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer, which is imperative to muscle recovery.
- These Magnesium salts are 99 percent natural, vegan and Sanctuary Spa is certified cruelty-free by PETA
- Magnesium Sulfate, also known as Epsom Salts, is a naturally occurring mineral that is well known for many benefits it has, in particular how it can help you sleep better and reduce stress
- Extremely relaxing and brings muscle ache relief
- Excellent scent
- The smell may be overpowering to those with a sensitive nose
Yareli Dead Sea Bath and Foot Soak
If you’re a runner who wants an excellent bath soak without intense smells, Yareli Dead Sea Bath and Foot Soak is the one for you! This bath soak is made from 100% natural ingredients and contains no scent or harsh chemicals. The salts are directly from the Dead Sea in Israel and dissolve fast for optimal soak time.
This product is on Amazon for $33.60. Can you say free shipping?
- 100% Pure & Unscented - Absolutely no additives, fillers, or artificial fragrances present
- Promotes Relaxation - Magnesium helps to soothe sore and tired muscles
- Spa Experience at Home - Relax in the comfort of your own home
- Great for people with hypersensitivities
- 100% natural and mildly formulated
- The product is oily, according to some reviews
Dr. Teal’s Skin Therapy Epsom Salt Bath Soak Collagen
If you like excellent muscle recovery and great skin, try Dr. Teal’s Skin Therapy Epsom Salt Bath Soak Collagen. Combining collagen with hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, and essential oils leaves skin glowing. Add some Epsom salt to relieve muscle tension and have an excellent bath for runners.
Another product available on Amazon, Dr. Teal’s, is $12.99.
- With Orange and Cedar essential oils help provide relief from stress and uplift your mood
- Nourishes and softens skin, promoting a natural glow
- Made with Pure Epsom Salt, Pink Himalayan Salt, and Sea Salt
- Leaves skin moisturized
- Excellent scent
- Expensive for a small product amount
Aromasong Muscle Recovery
Aromasong Muscle Recovery is excellent for any athlete who needs muscle tension relief. It contains 21 minerals along with Dead Sea salt. It also has OptiMSM, known for helping joints and increasing mobility. The lavender scent enables you to relax and get better rest.
Aromasong is on Amazon and costs $8.97.
- Formulated with Dead Sea Salt and its 21 Minerals that soothes muscle cramps.
- It contains lavender that promotes feelings of calmness, as well as tea tree oil that may aid in muscle recovery.
- This Muscle Soak Bath Salt contains natural Dead Sea Salts for soaking.
- Specifically designed for athletes
- Excellent for leg recovery for runners
- Provides relief from back pain
- Flakes take a while to dissolve
Ready to Get Soaking!
We relaxed just reading about all of those products. Now it’s time to go to your cart and hit purchase. It’s essential to make the most of your muscle recovery. Many of these products are excellent for your skin too, which is great for runners who experience calluses and blisters. Here’s to better skin and relief from muscle soreness.