The majority of the time when people think of the word “diet”, they are also thinking “uhg! No more sweets for me! This is such a bummer!” Have no fear, alternative sweeteners are here! We compiled a list of our favorite alternative sweeteners and how to use them.
We have given you some delicious pancakes and waffles recipes, but what if you don’t want to miss out on the syrup?! No problem; we have found and tested the perfect syrup substitute that won’t ruin your diet.
Lakanto Maple Flavored Sugar-Free Syrup is delicious without the guilt of regular maple syrup.
Use in place of: maple syrup.
Why we love it: it tastes like real maple syrup and it’s sugar free. You can use it on pancakes, waffles, bacon, veggies, or on pasta if you’re Buddy the Elf (if you haven’t seen the movie Elf, you will not understand this joke).
- TASTES LIKE REAL MAPLE SYRUP: The perfect mix of water, tapioca fiber, non-GMO Lakanto Monkfruit Extract, natural flavors, sea salt, and other quality ingredients makes this sugar free maple syrup a...
- SUGAR FREE CONDIMENT: Our keto sugar free syrup has 1 net carb and lower calories than traditional maple syrup; Plus, it’s all natural, low glycemic, and gluten free.
- LIFESTYLE FRIENDLY: Lakanto Sugar Free Maple Flavored Syrup works with ketogenic, diabetic, candida, paleo, vegan, low carb, low sugar, non-GMO, and all natural diets. Diabetics and dieters alike can...
I was mind-blown the first time I used Lakanto monkfruit sweetener as a sugar substitute because my dessert tasted amazing! You would never guess I hadn’t used real sugar.
Lakanto Monkfruit Sugar Substitute is amazing and I am never using real sugar again.
Use in place of: granulated sugar.
Why we love it: uuuuh…because it’s AMAZING and you can’t tell the difference between this and real sugar once it has been cooked or baked.
This company also sells monkfruit sweetener in liquid form in flavors: chocolate, lemon, original, and vanilla. You can find them online.
- Great for Cooking and Baking: White sugar substitute that's perfect for cookies, coffee, desserts, and other sweet, sugar-free treats. Tastes, bakes, and cooks like sugar. Great sugar alternative....
- Matches the Sweetness of Sugar: A healthy cup-for-cup alternative to ordinary sugar. Monk fruit contains zero calories and is about 250 times sweeter than sugar.
- Lifestyle Friendly: Works with ketogenic, diabetic, candida, paleo, vegan, low-sugar, non-GMO, and all-natural diets. Monk fruit sweetener may help with weight loss. Monkfruit contains natural sugars,...
Yes, coconut sugar is a thing. I had no idea until I started eating keto friendly.
Nutiva USDA Certified Organic, non GMO, Unrefined Granulated Coconut Sugar is technically still sugar, but it is not that processed crap and actually has some benefits.
Use in place of: granulated sugar.
Why we love it: This sugar is easy to cook with and surprisingly, there are a few good vitamins in this coconut sugar. Yes, this is sugar, but it is natural and a great alternative.
You can find other brands of coconut sugar, but we like this one the best because it is organic, non GMO, and affordable.
- GREAT SUGAR ALTERNATIVE: Nutiva Organic Coconut Sugar is a natural sugar replacement that’s lower in fructose than cane sugar, agave, and maple syrup and has a lower glycemic index than other...
- NATURALLY EXTRACTED: Our Organic Coconut Sugar is made from fresh coconut tree sap, collected from the cut flower buds. The sap is heated to evaporate moisture, resulting in the crystal or granular...
- GREAT FOR BAKING & COOKING: Simply substitute cup-for-cup for refined granulated white sugar, brown sugar and raw sugars in all recipes, desserts, and beverages
OK, if you have been in the keto or low-carb world for a little while, then you surely have heard of Swerve. No, it is not a dance move. It is a brand of sugar free sweeteners and they are super popular with great reviews. I have to admit, this stuff is good.
Swerve Granular Sweetener is the-bomb-dot-com (do people still say that…?). This is my favorite sugar substitute to bake with.
Use in place of: granulated sugar.
Why we love it: besides the fact that it is reasonably priced and guilt-free, you can bake/cook/make pretty much ANYTHING with this sugar substitute. Cupcakes with frosting? No problem! Homemade ice cream? Yep! Lemonade? Go for it!
This company also sells this in different size bags.
- TASTES AMAZING: Swerve is sweet and delicious. It is a natural sugar replacement that does not have the bitter aftertaste associated with other sweeteners like stevia and monkfruit.
- MEASURES LIKE SUGAR: If your recipe calls for a cup of sugar; simply replace with a cup of Swerve. Since it measures just like sugar, using Swerve in your favorite recipes will be a breeze.
- ZERO NET CARBS: The ingredients in Swerve do not affect blood sugar, so the carbohydrates it contains are considered non-impact.
When I saw a “brown sugar alternative” I got really excited. The First things I thought of were cookies and sweet potato pie (are you hungry now?) This sugar substitute is good, however I do have to admit it is on the pricey side. In my opinion it is worth it if you use it sparingly and if you do not use it for experimental baking…because you don’t want to waste this stuff.
Sukrin Gold: The Natural Brown Sugar Alternative really is a great brown sugar alternative.
Use in place of: brown sugar.
Why we love it: we haven’t seen very many brown sugar alternatives out there, but this one is our favorite. It really does taste like brown sugar but without all the calories and sugar.
- THE ORIGINAL GOLD SWEETENER - Enjoy the aroma, sweetness, flavor, and texture of brown sugar with zero calories per serving
- ALL-NATURAL - Made of erythritol, stevia, malt extract, and tagatose. Non-GMO with no artificial flavors, additives, or preservatives
- DIABETIC FRIENDLY - Less than 1 GI and no effect on blood sugar. Gold is well-suited for low carb and Keto diets
Confectioners sugar is the powdered sugar you would use as a garnish or to make frosting for cake. Yes, this confectioners sugar replacement tastes like the real stuff and is easy to work with.
Swerve Confectioners Sweetener is awesome and it is pretty obvious why this sugar replacement is so popular.
Use in place of: confectioners sugar.
Why we love it: well, we love it for all the same reasons why we love the Swerve granulated sweetener. It tastes like real sugar and there is no limit on the baked goods you can make with it. I like to use this stuff in and on the baked goods I feed my family and then wait until after they have eaten it to tell them “ha! That wasn’t real sugar! I tricked you into eating healthier!”
Liquid stevia is great to keep at home, in your car, or in your bag for when you need a quick sweetener.
Sweet Drops SweetLeaf Liquid Stevia Sweetener, SteviaClear is a must have in a keto or sugar-free household.
Use in place of: liquid sweeteners.
Why we love it: this is so easy to use, portable, and affordable. I love that it’s so easy to control how sweet you want your drink or food with this liquid sweetener. This sweetener is perfect for drinks.
- HIGHEST QUALITY stevia to ensure GREAT FLAVOR and NO AFTERTASTE
- ORGANIC STEVIA extract that is USDA Organic and Non-GMO Product Verified
- AWARD-WINNING stevia sweetener that has won 36 awards for taste and innovation
Last update on 2021-06-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API